Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Fearless



I just got back from visiting my family in Illinois. The last day of my visit we all went to the Coles County Fair. My little niece Bailey (7) really wanted to climb a rock wall, clearly made for adults. My brother at first told her no but on the way back we passed it again and he agreed to let her do it. She was really too small only weighing in at 45 pounds but the guy felt sorry for her and let her do it anyway. She made it all the way to the top of the wall within minutes. All of us including myself didn't think she would be able to do it but as she got about halfway up we were all cheering her on. I couldn't believe it when she reached the top. Her arms were shaking at one point when she couldn't reach the foot holds. This single event of the trip brought so many life lessons to mind. The fact that she wasn't afraid at all, that she didn't take no for an answer and that it didn't matter if any of us believed in her at all because she knew she could do it! My wish for her is that she never loses the incredible spirit that she has and that she enjoys her medal for reaching the top =)

1 comment:

Mandy said...

So brave! You better keep an eye on this one, she's gonna be a handfull when she gets older!