Friday, February 22, 2008

General Bead

When I looked up bead stores to go to in San Francisco General Bead came up. They have an on-line store and everyone knows them for their wholesale prices. The store is very interesting to say the least. You walk in and are greeted by bright colored walls that are filled with interesting movie posters, pictures and of course items for sale. The downstairs area is filled with crystals, chain and beading supplies. Upstairs is where I found the action. They literally have everything! It is filled with beads and weird pictures of two cats holding each other everywhere. On the way down the stairs you can even read a sign that says Bootsy says pay for your items that you purchased upstairs before going downstairs. Bootsy is one of their cats. Overall, it is a very magical store and that of course includes the people. The guy who waited on me was straight from the 60's complete with long gray hair and green army jacket. He also frequently used the words "cool" and "dude". He was really nice and even rounded the price of my items down for me. I wish I lived in San Fran so that I could take classes here as they offer many. If you enjoy chatting with interesting people and looking at a huge selection of beads and bling this is the place for you. It's not in the best neighborhood though so it's better to go during the day. Check out their website at genbead.com!

3 comments:

Jackie said...

Wow, that sounds like a place I can work! hahaha, I am always saying cool and dude!
I love san fran...I could easily live there if anything happened to las vegas!

Mandy said...

I'm going to have to stop by while I'm there next week! I hope the same guy is working!

Anonymous said...

Your description of the interior reminded me of some of the old downtown restaurants in Seattle. The bead stores there, however, are not as unique. Thanks for the trip down memory lane. I hope you had a good time and found some interesting beads. Pat K